Why study PE?
Physical Education is not just one of the most dynamic, wide ranging subjects you can choose, it also helps to educate and develop a range of skills crucial in the enjoyment of a long, healthy, successful future.
Promotion of a healthy, active lifestyle 2014 statistics include;
- 64% UK adults are classed as overweight or obese
- Britain’s obesity/overweight and tobacco related death rates are the highest in Europe (Heart Disease and Cancer)
- Obesity costs £2.6 billion a year in NHS bills and indirect losses to the economy.
- Obesity at 40 reduces life expectancy by 7 years; Obese people who smoke reduce their life expectancy by 13 years.
Physical and mental wellbeing
- Physical activity is proven to reduce stress and boost the body’s ability to deal with existing mental tension.
- Exercise can increase self-esteem and reduce depression and anxiety
- Regular physical activity aids memory and learning (increase cell production in the brain).
Leadership & communication skills
- Coaching and officiating experience.
- In depth analysis of performance, identifying strengths, weaknesses and corrective measures.
Knowledge of human anatomy
- In depth understanding of the structure of the human body and why a healthy active lifestyle is so vital for successful performance and that’s not just in sport.
- Effectively compliments the study of Biology.
Appreciation of cultural inequalities
- Through the study of the barriers to participation for social exclusion groups and the development of sport.
- Wide range of role models form a range of cultural backgrounds used as examples during class discussion.
Why study PE at HCS?
- Excellent on-site sporting facilities including an all-weather Astroturf, 6 tennis/netball courts, Outdoor pitches marked seasonally for Rugby, Football, Cricket, Rounders and Athletics.
- Level 2 and 3, vastly experienced coaches in our major sports.
- Delivery by 3/4 different PE teachers to ensure expertise is used effectively
- Dedicated PE classrooms with interactive whiteboards
- A hugely comprehensive activities programme to increase practical skills and support academic progress
- Mentors to support high level athletes in the achievement of academic and sporting prowess.
What do I need to study PE? A Grade B or above in GCSE PE, Biology and English is strongly recommended. You must also be fully committed to improving your performance in two sports, as performer, official and/or coach.
For full course specification visit: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/physical-education/a-level/physical-education-2580