Year 9 to 13 students attended the latest in a series of industry careers evenins with six industry specialists from the professions of Medicine, Finance and Law. The specialists on the panel were:
- Rachel Brooks, Lawyer and Partner, Thrings Solicitors
- Peer-Jada Qureshi, Principal Owner, Court and Tribunal Solutions Ltd
- Lance Beatty, Physiotherapist and NHS Manager
- Simon Hughes, Consultant Anaesthetist and Pre-Hospital Emergency Doctor, University Hospital Southampton
- Rebecca Bailey, Chartered Financial Planner and Director, Hamwic Wealth Management Ltd
- Simon Brooks, investor, previous chief investment officer, Skandia Investment Management Ltd
We introduced a new format for this careers evening with all six panellists partaking in a question and answer session which created an interactive and useful experience for our students. It also added an extra layer of consideration by the students who prepared questions in their PSHE lessons prior to attending.
Dr Tony Sampson (Director of Undergraduate Programmes, Faculty of Medicine, University of Southampton) and Julia Osgerby (Head of Accounting, Finance, Mathematics and Economics, University of Winchester) were also on hand to speak to students about the types of degrees in Law, Medicine and Finance available to students.
Concluding the evening there was a more relaxed period for networking, where anyone could ask more personalised questions and interact with the professionals in ways that weren’t previously available at other career evenings.
By Alex, Year 12