In March, 11 students from Year 9 and Year 10 and two members of staff will travel to rural Ghana for a volunteering experience of a lifetime. The students will spend two weeks mostly living in a rural community in the east of the country.
During their stay, they will work at Shalom School making bricks and building classrooms as well as helping as teaching assistants. The school has around 300 pupils aged between three and 16 but lacks many resources.
Each Hampshire Collegiate School student has raised £2,000 for the trip through a variety of fundraising initiatives over the last 18 months.
Our students will have a generous luggage allowance and they are looking for resource donations from the following list to take with them to give to Shalom School. Please leave donations in Miss McLean’s room (EN1) before 22 March:
- Packets of chalk, colouring pencils and writing pencils
- Exercise books
- Old textbooks and colourful story books
- An atlas
- Number charts
- Cut-out shapes or shape blocks and cut-out letters of the alphabet
- Bubble mix
- Board games and jigsaw puzzles
- Skipping ropes
- Tennis balls
- Good quality footwear, e.g. trainers and flip flops
- Good quality boys shorts and T-shirts and good quality girls loose long clothing and T shirts
- New underwear packs (any shape/size)
- Unopened feminine hygiene products
- Wrapped tablets of soap, toothbrushes, unopened toothpaste and flannels
- Lightweight pack-away raincoats
- Gardening gloves (for construction work)